Thursday, July 02, 2015

An American

July 4th is at hand. American's celebrate it as Independence Day. In 1776 when the Deceleration of Independence was signed, most Americans were of British descent, but America was already changing - had changed. America drew Germans and Swedes and some French. The Dutch in New York retianed their identity, even a hundred years after New Amsterdam became New York. More Germans came near and after Independence.  Irish and Scottish families with little love for the English came in the colonial era, and that immigration increased. After the events of 1848 German immigration became a flood. Today, even with the influx of Hispanics and Asians, the United States is predominately German in outlook and work ethic. We aren't the sons of England and, thankfully, we aren't Canadians with uncertain identity.

I have dual citizenship. Many of my blog readers know that. I'm Austrian and American. But I identify as American. I was born here. I've lived most of my life in the United States, and while I'm aware of my country's faults, I'd rather live here than elsewhere. So on this 4th of July, this Austrian-American says: I love my country and the people in it, even when they don't think clearly or are retarded morons. Long may the United States endure. Only God has the right to end America, and until he does, this is my home and its people are mine.




8 comments:

Harry H said...

I knew of course about your Austrian heritage, but until now I didn't realize you held dual citizenship. You learn something new everyday.

Our country has fallen on hard times. Socially we are more polarized than ever. There are too many guns, and too many senseless murders. The rich are richer, the poor are poorer, and the middle class is shrinking.

Our problems are not unsolvable, but we seemingly have no leaders who can unite us to work on the solutions.

I too want to see our country to long endure. I am proud of my children, my grandchildren; proud of the many students I've taught and watched grow up to be good citizens and parents themselves. There are so many good people in this land, including a cute pixie princess.

The lyrics of America the Beautiful suggests to me how we should face our problems:

America! America! God mend thine ev’ry flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law!


But this weekend, I will join others to celebrate our nation's independence from foreign influence (Sorry England), watch fireworks and listen to patriotic music. Sunday night I'll be in front of a TV and root for the USA Women's Soccer team face Japan (Again, sorry England) in the FIFA World Cup final game.

GO USA!

roberto said...

I love America. What else?

An occasional reader said...

For reasons that the pixie will understand, I am not into patriotic songs, although I have a sneaking enjoyment for Woody Guthrie’s alternative anthem – This Land is Your Land – written as an “antidote” to God Bless America originally. First popularized by the Weavers, they only dared to record the first three verses – but it still didn’t stop them getting blacklisted in the McCarthy era. Almost the full version was sung by Bruce Springsteen and Pete Seeger at Obama’s inauguration – which shows how some times have changed.

The verse I like best is:

Was a high wall there that tried to stop me
A sign was painted said: Private Property,
But on the back side it didn't say nothing —
This land was made for you and me.

If only because who on earth would think of making “private property” rhyme with “stop me” – and get away with it?

roberto said...

Go USA!!! Win the FIFA World Cup.

Harry H said...

The rhyming makes more sense when you listen to how property is pronounced in the diabetic of the American troubadour, Woody Guthrie. It is pronounced in two syllables (prop-tee).

I feel silly saying this to a man, who probably knows and has definitely sung more folk music than I have. I hope you feel no insult. None is intended.

Sha'el, Princess of Pixies said...

Harry's auto-correct struck again. For Diabetic read Dialect.

An occasional reader said...

None taken. I have several recordings of Guthrie doing this song - and Pete Seeger did a great live version with hundreds of children singing the background - but I still find it an amusing lyric.

I quite agree that Guthrie gets away with it because of the dialect. If I were to attempt singing it I would either have to impersonate an Okie twang, or as most do, leave the verse out...

(P.S. I think your spellchecker had an amusing hissy fit over dialect...)

Harry H said...

Haha! I did not see that. Don't you just hate it when computers put words in your mouth?

On a similar note, George Takei posted a cute photo today of a church sign. Under the name of the church it read "God does not make misteaks."