Saturday, May 30, 2015

Sandra Cormier!


Thanks to Rachael for inviting me to hang out on her blog. We go back a few years, and we shared the angst of query letter writing together. In the spirit of pixies and woodland creatures, I will share with you a story about Mrs. G.


I live in a fair-sized town, so when wildlife comes to play, I participate wholeheartedly as long as they don't drink too much beer and wreck the place. Our house sits across the street from a wooded conservation area, where feathered and furry creatures abound. Sometimes I feel like a Disney Princess, except the animals don't clean my house while I sing.


We have skunks, raccoons, foxes, chipmunks, Cooper's hawks, songbirds, bunnies and groundhogs. While the raccoons and skunks are annoying, they still deserve a fair shake, as long as it's not under my house. And stay out of my garbage.


However, I've allowed the local groundhog – let's call her Mrs. G. – to use the area under my porch as a nursery.


Last weekend, while I had my morning coffee on my little deck, Mrs. G thumped around under the deck boards, dragging stuff around as if rearranging the furniture. She sounded as large as a dog when she scratched herself. She popped up from under the stairs to check me out.


Later that morning, I heard a sound through the window, so went onto the porch to peek through the screen door. Mrs. G was in the process of making off with a folded tarp I had on a low shelf.
I asked, "What are you doing?" She freaked out, dropped everything, and ran.
I said to Mark, "How much do you wanna bet she'll try to steal that tablecloth?" I pointed at a cheap dollar store vinyl tablecloth that sat on a low table. I took the tarp inside.



A half hour later, I returned from the store, and discovered she had indeed attempted to purloin the tablecloth. I imagine the flannel backing was just too inviting to resist. Problem was, it had a heavy extension cord reel on top so all that resulted was few tugs and some claw marks.


Since it was now ruined, I gave up and threw it under the porch stairs so she could pull it underneath when she was ready.


I saw her two yards over, stuffing her little face with greenery.
An hour later, the tablecloth had disappeared. Therefore, she has either dragged it under the porch, or to a neighbouring yard. I suspect her nest is now ready under my porch. We shall see if I hear little baby groundhog snuffling in the coming days.
If you want to see more photography of woodland creatures, food and travel, visit my Instagram page: https://instagram.com/cormiersandra/
To check out my writing, visit my blog: http://chumpletwrites.blogspot.ca/
For other nonsense, check my Twitter page at: https://twitter.com/Chumplet
And if you like a good hockey romance with a dash of suspense, check out Bad Ice: http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Ice-Sandra-Cormier/dp/1897445164/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1432583784&sr=1-1

 





8 comments:

  1. It's usual for newbies to include a photo of themselves in their first post so that we know with whom we are relating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra, Ignore H. He's being a troll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Griffin9:07 AM

    Enjoyed the tale.

    What's a goundhog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose I should have included a picture of my lovely self, but I'm a humble gal. If you're that curious, H., Google me. I'm all over the place.

    Update on Mrs. G: She took a towel yesterday, then moved her babies in. They are quietly snuggling under the porch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks, Sandra.

    Wistful, enigmatic and truly ethereal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to our little madhouse here. I am sure that you and Mrs. G will fit right in.

    Allow to introduce myself. I am Harry Hancock, a somewhat demented retired teacher and chief stalker of our favorite pixie. In many ways I am an old fashioned southern gentleman. My mama taught me manners and my daddy enforced the lessons.

    I live in Virginia with my wife of 40+ years. We have 2 children and 2 grandchildren. Other than my unfulfilled desire to meet Rachael in person, life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think whoever H is, he needs to choose another initial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Harry .... Genius, but H. is not bad
    Sandra, wellcome.

    ReplyDelete