Thursday, March 12, 2015


I haven’t ‘been around’ for a while. I fell face first onto pavement. It made a nasty squishy, thumpy, cracky noise. I was cut and bruised from eye to chin. And my knees are still scabbed up. I tell everyone that I tripped over a bit of cement. This is true but not all the story. I’m unstable as a result of increasing seizure problems, and it is these that have kept me away from this blog and barely functioning.

I have committed to teaching ten classes next year, but if my health continues to degrade I probably won’t be teaching anything.


While I’ve been in semi-hibernation I’ve watched more crime shows. Among those I watched were Murder Call, an Australian series, and Da Vinci’s Inquest, a Canadian show. These were a product of the 1990s and early 2000s.

Murder Call is interesting but not at all realistic. Parts of it were irritating. The opening credits are not well done. The play off a telephone dial tone grates on my nerves. You’d have to be Australian to know what VKG means. (Call sign of the police radio net.) The crimes are improbable, gothic even. The solution is reached by the female detective, but presented in disjointedly through rapid flashbacks to the key clues. This is fantasy, not crime fiction. But it’s good enough to watch them all.

Da Vinci’s Inquest is set in Vancouver, B.C. (I got seriously lost there once.) The main character is a coroner who’s come to the job after being an undercover policeman. He has an unnecessarily abrasive personality. Most of the shows have a political message that detracts from the stories. A few of them are improbable. Of the two, this is the superior show. It does not reach the level of the American show it copies, but it is a huge improvement over Quincy, an American show that featured a Medical Examiner. (MEs are a different kind of bird. They’re physicians. Coroners aren’t.)

I watched other crime shows too. These were made in the UK, Australia and the USA. None of them were worth more than one or two views. You can find the two I liked on youtube.

I’m suffering social-withdrawal pains. Other than work and sleep, I seldom do anything but vegetate and write a little. My doctor wants me to go off to the University Hospital. Been there, done that more than once. It’s a waste of time and money.

We’ve been looking into a Mr. Conley’s life. The research results are unsatisfactory thus far. But we have a fairly clear view of key events. If we don’t find things with more substance, we’ll change our outline and combine his misadventures with those of another related person. That will remove a chapter from the outline, but that’s okay. We’ve done that before.

Mr. Conley drifted into the faith cure community. Group interest extended back at least to 1878 when Mr. Russell, Conley’s associate, consorted with one of the earliest American advocates of faith cure (as expressed in Germany in the 1860s). Modern Pentecostals do not see Faith Cure as part of their heritage, but it is. We won’t trace the connections; they’re not relevant to our story. Conley, as do many believers, wanted what ‘should be,’ ignoring ‘what was.’ A driving force of sectarian divide has always been the desire to return to Christian roots. This isn’t an unworthy desire. But the New Testament suggests that Christianity is a tree that becomes a fully grown planting. So while Christian fundamentals are always important, some things are supposed to pass away with maturity.

We do not have a clear statement of Conley’s later belief, just hints of it. He cannot have been totally pleased with his final path. He sought healings such as Jesus performed. Within his final association he saw fraud, fornication, and imperfect, slow ‘cures.’ If he did not see the difference between Christ’s cures and this, we do not know why.

His final religious association was with the Christian and Missionary Alliance. This group has always been plagued by fornicating pastors, drunken adherents, and fakery. Today they are a marginalized sect. And they deserve to be.

 

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad your health has improved enough to write a little. I have missed you, and I know your other followers have too.

    Your statement. "the New Testament suggests that Christianity is a tree that becomes a fully grown planting." is very interesting. It is obvious to me that, as Christians, we all try to grow and become more Christ-like. That the church, as a group of believers, should grow and mature as well seems just as obvious, but it seems that many churches are stuck in the past and refuse to grow.

    Time to step down from my soapbox. I will try to write a post that is light-hearted and cheerful to make a pixie smile in the next day or two.

    Keep getting better. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. An occasional reader3:30 PM

    Sorry to hear you have been in the wars, and nice to have some comments from you now you are sort of back in circulation.

    I confess to knowing absolutely nothing about the Christian and Missionary Alliance (I suppose I could always Wikipedia them). Did they have a magazine? Do they have their own university/college with a library? Does Mr Conley ever feature in their magazine in their early days, even if just making donations, or even having his funeral written up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes they had/have a magazine. We've had all the Conley articles for about four years. They have an archive, but it contains very little from the early years.

    Their magazines are searchable online.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An occasional reader5:18 AM

    Diolch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy... we missed you so much...

    ReplyDelete