Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Hunting the illusive Mr. Jones.


Hunting the Wild Illusive
 
So … my writing partner and I are trying to tell Albert Delmont Jones’ story. He will have a chapter of his own mostly because he was a bad boy, and bad boys are more interesting than saints. As with many of the personalities that make up the history we write, he is illusive. I feel like a hunter stalking the wild, pixie-eating lion. (I don’t think lions actually eat pixies, but you never know with lions.)

            We’ve accumulated some good documentation. Antonius, “Ton” to readers of our history blog, spent hours researching Jones. (I miss Ton. He was a tenacious researcher.) And we found things as well. What we don’t have is key issues of Jones’ magazine, Zion’s Day Star. Some issues are in the Library of Congress. We’d need over three hundred dollars to have them copied, money better spent on other things. The key issues (1882-1884) are no where to be found.

            We have bits of early life biography. We know something about his family. We have a spotty criminal record. We know about a failed bank, real-estate deals gone bad, a scheme that sucked in someone who we usually see as an adept business man, money borrowed from a rich iron merchant, and we have divorce records. We don’t have his photo. We believe it’s in the New York City archives, but no one has located it.

            As with any research project there have been dead ends – hunches that did not work out or that remain unproven. The next step down from hunches are wild guesses. We’ve made a few of those, none of which were fruitful. It’s like playing “cowboys an Indians.” You can shoot all you want, but if the other person refused to die, you can’t do anything about it but whine.

 


Bows and Arrows and Little Toes.
1940


            My oldest daughter attracts boys. She’s mostly oblivious. She is good at identifying nonsense. Most twenty-something young men are full of nonsense. I don’t have to point that out. She’s tumbled to it, and probably did so when she was seven.

            Annie and my baby half-sister have made a teddy bear village. BHS thinks that’s super. Annie crafts stories, and they play act. Annie will make a good story teller one of these days if she wishes to write.

            My CPI recertification class was last night. Four hours of lecture and role playing. I got to be the bad-acting student, mostly because I’m small. So I was restrained in various ways. I surprised a principal who took the course by being able to pin his arm down so he couldn’t move. It’s not about strength but position. Most of the class is about the mechanism of emotional release and how to handle the explosive emotions of students. It’s very interesting. But it’s not a fun class.

            My body temperature is off kilter. I bought a new heating blanket, the kind with dual controls. That’s part of my neurological problems, and it comes and goes. It’s not fun. But a good snuggle helps relieve it.

3 comments:

roberto said...

I believe that if everyone of us make an effort and send you a little amount in December, the issues of Zion's Day Star in the Library of Congress are yours.
Launch an appeal on the blogs and keep us informed. Personally I will make my part with a good donation. I want to see Zion's Day Star.
Are we part of this team or not?

Spurned said...

Just wondering where my comments about ADJ went?

I know it was only a transcription of the first fifty copies of 'Day Star' and some candid photos of the man (one in most compromising position) but you did say that you wanted some of this stuff.......

Sha'el, Princess of Pixies said...

Dear Spurned:

Thuppp!