Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Good, the Bad, and the Indifferent

The good the bad the mildly indifferent

If you write you’re familiar with the feeling that comes when you’ve found a story you can tell and tell well. It’s a lovely feeling. Remember my complaint about the librarian character who kept mutating into a grandmother? I fixed that problem and the story is moving ahead “swimmingly.” (I’m not sure exactly what that means, but it must be good, right?)

I solved the problem by simply making her pregnant. I can do that. She’s my character, right? So being ten weeks pregnant more or less keeps her from turning into a granny. Good story in the works, I think!

So that was the “Good.”

Also in the “Good” file is a pile of photocopies a kind librarian at a university in Cincinnati sent to us. This material has given me a head ache – which is not all that good. But the story it tells is really helpful. A One Faith (Church of God) believer responded to an article in a Disciples newspaper. The original article is missing, but there’s enough to know what was said. And let me tell you, brothers and sisters, the original article was religious nonsense. Hey, we’re talking Disciples. That explains it all. (Next week I’ll insult Methodists to even this out.) So a Mr. Cox wrote a critique which was duly published and a lengthy exchange ensued.

What makes this significant is that Mr. Cox, a One Faith believer, uses and cites as authoritative a Zion’s Watch Tower affiliated magazine, Zion’s Day Star. Now this is worthy of notice. It helps explain bunches of things. So, while I’m reading pages that alternate between turgid and florid, I’m takin’ notes and scheming to drop a paragraph - Maybe even two paragraphs – into a nearly finished chapter. Each bit of evidence like this helps shut the mouths of a bunch of polemicists who can’t tie their shoes even on a good day. Come to think of it, I’m not sure they’re any good with Velcro strips either.

Remember what I wrote a few paragraphs up about knowing you’re writing well? The opposite happens too. I deleted 12 pages from a chapter we have maybe 50 per cent finished. That’s a huge chunk of text. But it just didn’t do the job. It was too detailed in areas that do not matter and it rambled without getting to the point. So that’s all gone. We’ll write it again. Sometimes you have to make painful decisions. This, dear hearts, is the “Bad” of this post.

Now, on to the “Indifferent.” There are two items in this file. The first is how I feel. I’m blah, my legs hurt, I’m headachy and my allergies are trying to murder me. The second is the pair of fools I mentioned in a pervious post, Swede Boy and Chicago Boy. These gentlemen are depressed. They’re not used to scorn, and they believe themselves too smart to lose in any forum. They are, however, at a loss now. They’ve lost their sense of entitlement and self-esteem. One of these little boys (Not the sheep-loving, pedophile from Sweden) is a web administrator. They both think of themselves as computer whizzes. They whiz all right, just not that way. Diaper change time, boys.

Okay, Mr. Computer Genius, visiting this blog through a proxy may give you a sense of anonymity, but it really doesn’t work that way. You leave other obvious trails. You realize, of course, that I have been slapping you and educating you both since we first met. I win. You lose.

You’re trapped. You cannot let go of your interest in me. I feel indifferently toward you. But you really need to become a little entertaining or my passing interest – let’s just call it indifference – will fade to boredom.

1 comment:

Harry H said...

I'm glad to hear that you got Granny "fixed".

I'm also glad that you are getting the research materials you and Bruce need to finish the book.

I can believe your referred to Swede Boi and Chicago Boi as gentlemen. You are being exceedingly generous. I think carbuncle is a much more descriptive term for them, and let me be clear, I am not calling them gems.