Thursday, July 08, 2010

The fun of the hunt ...


My writing partner, kind man that he is, found a booklet he knew I had on my want list. He bought it and gave it to me. It’s really ratty, but I’m pleased to have it. There is a copy in the British Library and another in the University of Michigan Library and in a Canadian library. WSU has a microfilm copy. That’s it. So you can see that ratty doesn’t much matter when weighed against rarity.

There are modern reprints. I try to get originals when I can. There is one original for sale at a reasonable price, but it’s no better than this copy.

I’m not making this sound very exciting, am I? It’s always exciting to me when I acquire something like this. The conservation problems drive me a bit crazy. The best I can do is what I usually do. It will go into an archive sleeve for protection and find its place in one of my many three ring binders of similar archival material. ….

My oldest pamphlet is from 1708. I have later reprints of earlier tracts, but the oldest first printing is a booklet by a non-conformist Baptist from that year. I haven’t a clue what will happen to all this stuff when I die. Today, I don’t really care. I’m just happy to have this bit of history.

No comments:

Post a Comment