Name:
Location: The Pixie Home Forest

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Junk theology and my head ache


For the sake of two paragraphs, I'm reading mounds of 18th and 19th theological speculation about probationism. This is giving me a headache. I think I'm just going to use a quotation from Butler's Analogy of Religion.

My heart isn't in it today. I don't even want to go teach my class. ... but I will. Afterwards, I'm going to the huge new and used bookstore and using up some of my credit. I also have a small pile of religous booklets to take in for credit. I got most of these in ebay lots. I bought a large lot of junk booklets to get an item or two from the lot. Most of this stuff is just awful. One is by a Baptist who favored chiropractic; it's entitled Spinal Adjustment in Southern Baptist Life. [Can you see me shrugging?] The truly nasty one in this bunch is also the most interesting. W. D. Herrstrom, a fundamentalist and anti-semetic writer, produced "The Difference Between Fundmentalism and Modernism." Probably the worst of the lot is a small booklet by "W. B. Dunkum, D.D., Evangelist." It's poorly written, junk theology; it's insipid.

These booklets are typical of the early to mid 20th century. Under-educated evangelists felt complelled to write. It didn't matter what they wrote, just that they did write. They're the Chick tracts of their day, often offensive, always a bit stupid. But people buy then, and I'm trading them for something more interesting.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Site Meter
Site Meter