Friday, April 23, 2010

From a Post Card - About 1900


Well … I finished three pages of Salana’s story today. Three pages of work product is pitiful. This was some of the most difficult writing I’ve ever done, and I cannot tell you why I found it so hard.

I have a clear mental picture of Rachael, the main character, sitting at her grandfather’s desk, trying to hack into his computer. Putting on paper the interchange between Rachael and her grandfather via his locked computer has been hard. I’m really just starting this bit. It looks good to me at the moment, though it is rough and unedited.

I’ve borrowed from the original War Games movie. I let the reader know that. The borrowing is two paragraphs of short mental dialogue. I think it’s a fun thought and puts you in touch with her grandfather’s personality.

He is dead. He speaks to her now through a message left on his computer. It is protected from intrusion, and Rachael must navigate her way to the message. She succeeds.

I’ve left her sitting at the desk with a tin of Danish butter cookies and a bottle of cordial. I will spend odd minutes thinking this through again tonight.

Last night was fairly calm after midnight, and I worked through bits of the story. The problem last night was that I had two side stories going at the same time and couldn’t shut them off! One I will never write. It’s just not a complete story, and it never turns into one. I’ve tried it dozens of ways, but there are only four good, usable scenes. I may adapt them to other stories, but they cannot stand alone as is. The other is a story I’ve imagined in dozens of ways since I was in middle school. I tried a new version of it last night (only in my mind – mind you.) It’s interesting, but I think others have told that tale better than I can. I don’t know why it pops into my mind unbidden. I’ve rejected it dozens of times.

Anyway, back to my train of thought: When this section is finished, I step back into the dim and distant past. We explore Salana’s story. I like her. She’s brave. She’s tough. And she remains that way until she dies. I can see her. I’m not too sure how I will describe her in words. She is part-pixie. Her father, whom she will kill, is a fairy of the worst sort. She has a mostly pixie appearance, but she has the distinctive iridescent mottling on her chest that characterizes a full fairy, and she has a boney ridge down the back of her head. This is important to the story.

Her ‘grandfather’ treats her as a joke, ridicules her, places her at his table and dresses her as a fairy warrior to make sport of her. This changes when she kills her father. …. Umm I’m telling way too much of this story, aren’t I?

The chapter after that takes us back to Rachael and her newly found quest. We follow her to England. She carries a key. We find what it opens. She takes what’s in it. We meet the cordial again. She is directed to an address. She acquires a companion. There is an incident on her flight. She meets an older man. Adventures happen. …

No comments:

Post a Comment