Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Thoughts ...

When Bruce and I started writing Nelson Barbour: The Millennium’s Forgotten Prophet, I did not suppose that it would be a controversial book. I am surprised at the reactions we’ve gotten. I’ve been pleased by very positive comments from readers with differing points of view.

There are two comments out there at leave me puzzled. One person says he already knew everything in our book. This is patently nonsense. Some of the source material is derived from sources he could not possibly access. They exist as single copies, and we were the first to gain access to it. One person was upset because our book didn’t expose Russell for the charlatan he imagines him to be. Anger at a sect distorts this person’s view of history. We do not write to expose anyone. We wrote to present the simple, straightforward and verifiable history of the Barbourite movement. We have no ax to grind. If book two actually makes it to publication, we will follow the same process of critical review of the sources and honest presentation of the facts.

I am disturbed that a certain high-expectation sect feels compelled to monitor our activity on the internet. How paranoid do you have to be to follow a short, scrawny writer around the internet? There is very little difference between the discourse stifling censorship the Church of Scientology tries to impose and the information collecting this sect pursues. If you are that curious about me, drop me a line. My email address is attached to this blog. Spying does not become you or the religion you represent.

I’m sure they find me a puzzle. I share their theology, but I write fantasy fiction. Fantasy fiction is evil in their view. I’ve never been subject to their whim. They can write all the letters to their elders they wish, but they will not get a reply that satisfies them.

This is a one-time invitation to them. Write me an email. Ask your questions to me directly. I have not harmed you or our religion. I keep my personal feelings out of what I write. Bruce and I present the facts. If they make you uncomfortable, you really ought to ask yourself why.

You had your visits to my blog. Okay, fine. It’s a public blog. Now, go away and do not come back. Consider yourself not part of my fellowship. If you want accurate history, read our book. If you want to protect a myth that you’ve crafted for the last 130 years, don’t read it. Continue to live with a mythology. It rather than truth seems to make you comfortable.

I would like an explanation of the dichotomy that seems to exist among your adherents. Some seek an accurate presentation of the facts. This is honorable and fits with the personality of a religion that has for 150 years sought to be in “present truth.” Those who are in authority within your religion are afraid of an accurate presentation of your own history. Why? Certainly it is no more flawed than that of the first century Christians or the Israelites of old.

There is a disturbing mentality at work here. The desire to maintain a pure religion has slid into a controlling Phariseeism. Shame on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment